Monday, August 3, 2009


I passed by Lincoln Center on my way to lunch today. Apparently the film society is showing a collection of Ang Lee's work. From the more well known Brokeback Mountain and Crouching Tiger, to the lesser known Ride with the Devil, and Sense and Sensibility. I always liked Ang Lee's films and his never ending quest of human suppression. Sometimes, it works, sometimes it doesn't. Such theme is not always suitable for different genre of films, but it is indeed an Ang Lee staple.

Forget Blockbusters, Sense and Sensibility is a well made film, but it definitely has more character of Emma Thompson than Ang Lee. Lust, Caution is unfortunately a rather unsuccessful adaptation of the famously complex and well written short story. If I'd recommend one thing from the series, it will probably be Eat Drink Man Woman. Besides Woodstock which I haven't seen, this is by far the best Ang Lee film.

No comments:

Post a Comment